Sunday, October 30, 2011

Korean Drama by Siman Z.

Korean Dramas are televised shows in the Korean language. Dramas have become very popular throughout Asia and America. The expanding culture of Korea’s media contributes to the “Hallyu” or Korean Wave. There are two genres to Korean dramas that include modern day problems and historical dramas which fictionalize Korean history. The first genre is similar to American soap operas with complicated love triangles, obsessive mothers, money bargaining, and fighting. Korean dramas usually end with a tragic ending like with someone’s death.
• Minho a rich entrepreneur from a good family is planning to inherit his father’s company in the future is the perfect guy. He is strong, attractive, and kind. The only problem is that he is 29, single, and living with his possessive mom.
• Woo Joomi is a beautiful young college girl who is violent but misunderstood. She works two part time jobs to pay for her tuition and her mother’s hospital bills, who is diagnosed with cancer. Joomi is often filled with hatred and confusion because even to today, she does not know why her father ran out on her. But that is why she never lets anyone disrespect her.
• These two people meet when Minho accidently runs over Joomi’s bike with his car. This unfortunate event begins their love-hate relationship

One morning on a sunny day, while Minho was preparing for his day at work, his mother suddenly brings up the fact on his marriage. Minho believes that marriage should not be rushed and revolves around love, while his mother just wants Minho to give her a grandchild.

“Mom! I’ll get a girlfriend when I’m ready!”

Minho’s mom only stated, “When? When will you be ready? You will be turning 30 next year! Why won’t you just go on one date...? When are you going to give me a grandchild?”

“How many times do I have to tell you? I’ll give you a grandchild when I have someone I want to marry! Don’t set me up anymore!”

Minho leaves his house to avoid further arguments with his mom. While Minho is driving, he thinks about what his mom said. He wants to get married and start a family as well but how can he when his mom is so protective. Being distracted, he accidently runs over a bike. He comes out to see if anyone got hurt but is only greeted with a smack to the head by an angry owner.

“Ya! Where do you think you’re going? You ran over my bike and now it’s broken! Are you trying to run away? You need to pay for it!”

At that moment, Minho looks up and sees the most beautiful girl in the whole world.

“What is this feeling? Why am I so hot? I can’t breathe… Who is this girl? How can someone be so beautiful? Is she an angel from heaven? Oh wow…her eyes sparkle like the stars in the sky. Her skin…it’s so smooth. Why is her skin so white? Her hair…it looks so silky…Is this love..? No it can’t be. How can I love someone when she just hit me in the head? Am I dreaming? Oh wow…she is beautiful….

However Minho awakes from his dream when Joomi smacks him in the head again.


“Hello! You broke my bike! Pay for it! Why aren’t you answering me? What’s wrong with you?”

“Nothing…Um…I’m sorry. I have something on my mind right now… I’ll pay for your bike.”

Minho opens his wallet and sees that he has no money.

“…I’m sorry. I don’t have money on me right now...Here is my card. Maybe you can call me…”

“Huh! You think that you’re the only person with something on their mind? I need that bike for my job and now I can’t do my job because it is broken! And what’s this? I don’t want your card; I want my compensation right now! Are you trying to get away without paying me?”

“I really do not have money right now. I am not trying to run away. That’s why I gave you my card…”

“Ugh! I don’t care if you don’t have money right now! Get someone to bring it to me! I need my bike! You look like your rich. Just call up one of your servants and tell them to bring it here! Why are rich people so complicated?”

After Joomi’s last comment, Minho is furious. He hates it when people judge him because of his background.

“I said I’ll give you the money didn’t I! It’s not like I was going to run away and not pay you back. What about rich people? You think that just because I’m rich I do whatever I want? You think that we don’t work hard for our success? How do I not know that you are not just trying to get some money out of me!”

Taken back at what Minho said, Joomi becomes filled with anger and lashes out.

“It is true! Just because you have money, you do whatever you want. I hate people who act like that! Just forget it! I don’t want your money!...You people….”

Although Joomi wanted to continue, she couldn’t because she felt her tears coming up. She turns away but is stopped by a phone call.

“Hello. Yes... Is my mom okay…... How can I be late? I’ll head to the hospital right now. I’ll get the money too! Just don’t give up her bed.…”

Joomi hangs up and looks around to see if there are any bus stops. She does not see any and runs away leaving her bike and Minho’s business card on the floor.

While Minho is driving, he thinks to himself “Wow… How can a pretty be so violent? How can she just leave before settling the problem? Who is this girl? Why is she so strange? Why is my heart beating so fast? Why do I keep thinking about her? How can she look pretty and be the complete opposite? What about her mom? Is her mom sick? Her back…Why does she look so gentle from the back like a feather…yet be so violent in the front!”

While driving in his car and thinking about how he can find Joomi again, he sees her sitting at a bus stop. He notices that she was crying and decides to offer her a ride.

“Excuse me…Hi, um we met a while back. Um…you never took my card…and I still want to give you your compensation….Look, I feel really bad for running over your bike and making those horrible comments.…”

At this moment Joomi jumps into his car and asks him to give her a ride to the hospital.

“I need a ride to the Seoul Hospital. It’s not far from here and it’s urgent. You owe me this much.”

Minho is shocked by her request and, but drives her there without any complaints. Minho noticed that Joomi couldn’t stop fidgeting her hands and although he knows something is wrong, he couldn’t say anything to console Joomi. When they arrive at the hospital, Joomi jumps out of the car and only says one thing.

“I better get my bike money or your dead!”

Minho knows that if he didn’t check up on Joomi, he wouldn’t be able to leave so he follows her into the hospital. When he finds her, he sees her on her knees begging the doctor to let her mother stay in the hospital.

“Please, let my mom continue her treatment. I will pay the bills when I have the money. Please. She really needs the treatment and this is my first time being late on the payment. Please! I need my mom to live. She’s all I have left. “

Even with all her begging, the doctor could only say “I would like to give you more time but there are others that need the attention as well. If the payment is not in by the end of the week then we are going to have to give up her bed. I’m sorry”.

The only thing Joomi did is cry. Minho sees her crying and walks over to help her up. He wants to say something but nothing comes out. He decides that he needs to help her and pays for the hospital bills. When Joomi finds out, she becomes mad.

“Who asked you to pay for my mom’s hospital bills? Do you think I’m some kind of beggar or what, a scammer trying to steal your money? I don’t want your money! I don’t even know you!”

“I’m just trying to help you! I am sorry about your bike and your mom and about this situation. I don’t want you to think that you’re a beggar or think that you owe me anything. I just wanted to help so that you won’t have to cry anymore.”

“What good thing? You think that you paying the hospital bills and me feeling indebted to you for the rest of my life is a good thing? I don’t want your money!”

Minho felt hopeless trying to explain to her that he is just trying to help. While they are arguing, Minho loses his composure and lashes back at Joomi for her judgments.

“Why do you think that I’m like other rich people? Do rich people not have hearts? Why are you always trying to pick a fight with me? How can you act like this?”

Joomi walks into a room and shuts the door. Minho follows but stops as he sees Joomi sit next to a lady in bed. He comes to realize that it’s Joomi’s mother. He sees that Joomi is actually smiling while talking to her mom despite the heated argument they just had.

“Sweetie, are you ok? Who were you talking to? Did you upset someone again?

“No mom. It’s this weird guy that ran over my bike. He keeps following me…. He….paid your hospital bills….I think that he wants something…He’s so strange”

“We can’t let him do that. It’s too much.”

“I know. I told him that but he won’t listen to me…Ugh! Mom today was just not a good day…”

Joomi’s mom smiles and hugs Joomi tightly and tells her to invite Minho in the room to show respect.

“Hi, I am Joomi’s mother Han Minyoung. Your name is?”

“Minho….Park Minho.”

“I want to apologize for Joomi’s behavior. She told me that you paid for my treatment bills and I can’t let you do that. It’s too much for a complete stranger to do so much for us.”

“No, it’s alright. I want to do this.. Besides, I owe your daughter money for her bike.”

“Just pay for my bike money then!”

“Joomi! I’m sorry for my daughter’s rudeness. I’ll pay you back.”

“There is no need to do such thing. I am glad that I could help.”

“No we must pay you back. Please allow us to pay you back.”

“Mom! He said he didn’t want it! Just leave!”

Joomi and Minho start to argue again, but this time with Joomi’s mother being involved. Everywhere they are Joomi and Minho only fight. The nurse has no choice but to kick them out.

“This is a hospital! We have patients here. Please leave.”

“Ugh! See what you did….Mom, I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Minho and Joomi leave the room quietly. Minho offers to take Joomi home but she wants to discuss the hospital payment and how she can pay him back. Minho on the other hand has a different plan.

“Be my girlfriend!”

“What...What did you just say?”

“Be my girlfriend for 3 months and I’ll consider that you paid me back.”

“No! I’m not going to sell myself!”

“If you make monthly payments then you’ll be tied to me for much longer.”

“Ugh! Why did I have to meet you...Fine! I’ll do it…but for two months only…”

“I’ll take it.”

From this point on Minho and Joomi would spend every second of the day together. Each day they become closer. Although they don’t realize how the relationship is progressing, both of them begin to fall in love with each other. However, their love will face trouble when Minho’s mother finds out about their relationship.

“Minho, come here I need to talk to you about this Saturday. One of my friend’s daughter Min Hana is coming to Seoul. She’s going to be a doctor in Korea. Show her around because I’ll be busy that day.”

“Do I have to? I already have something planned.”

“Yes! You have to. If you don’t show up, I’ll freeze all your cards!”

Minho has no choice but to go meet Min Hana and cancel his date with Joomi. However he does not know that this is an arranged marriage set up by his mom to get rid of Joomi. Minho has no idea that his mom knows about his relationship with Joomi and ends up meeting Min Hana, who falls for him right after their meeting.

“Minho, Thank you for showing me around, this place is amazing. Can we meet again? ”

“I don’t think that’s needed. I showed you the places that you need to go to and you can ask my mom.”

“Your mom said to call you anytime. Besides, we might get married so we spend more time together?”

“Marriage? What are you talking about? I thought that I was just showing you around.”

“Your mom didn’t tell you? She was the one that set it up…”

“I’m sorry about this. I had no idea. I wouldn’t have agreed to this if I knew.”

“It’s okay. I mean, at least you know now.”

“That’s not what I mean. Look I have a girlfriend…and I don’t think we should meet again. I’m sorry.”

Minho leaves Hana standing there alone feeling embarrassed that someone as pretty and successful as herself would be rejected. Minho goes home and confronts his mom about this situation. His mom doesn’t deny the fact that she knew about his relationship and that she will never accept Joomi. Minho unmoved by his mother’s threatening words tells her that he loves Joomi and will marry her no matter what. The next day he goes and finds Joomi and explains to her the situation and although she feels that this relationship is too much to handle, she loves him enough to stay. Minho’s mom calls Hana up to tell her the situation and together, they plan to break Joomi and Minho up.

One day when Joomi is on her way to meet her mother, she is stopped by Minho’s mom and Hana. They wish to talk to Joomi and she has no choice but to say yes.

“Woo Joomi, I am Minho’s mother and this is Min Hana. She is Minho’s fiancĂ©e. You should know why I am here today right. Ms. Joomi, as a mother I want only the best for my son and if you don’t mind me being honest with you, you are not the best for my son. That is why I found Hana. She is not only from a good family but also a successful doctor. I want you to let my son go.”

“Ms. Joomi, I am Hana. I heard that Minho paid for your mother’s hospital bills. Is that correct?”

“How did you…?”

“I am working at the hospital where your mother is being treated. I know that it must have been hard on you. However if you want I can treat her for you or give you the money for her treatment. In return I hope that you can let Minho go. If you really love him, you would let him chase after the better option, wouldn’t you?”

Joomi can’t say anything. She doesn’t know how people can speak hurtful words.

“In the beginning, my relationship with Minho was about me being his girlfriend to pay off my debt. However, now it is so much more than that. We love each other and I know that I’m not comparable but I told myself that I won’t let go until he does. I…”

Hana is disgusted by what Joomi said and pours water all over Joomi.

“Woo Joomi! Who do you think you are? Can’t you see that we weren’t giving you an option? We wanted to be polite hoping you would back off. It’s already been decided by our families that we are going to be married. Stay away from him or your life will be turned upside down.”

When Minho’s mom and Min Hana was right about to leave, Joomi grabs Hana by her arm and says one last thing, “You say that you’ll turn my life upside down, but my life was never the right side up.”

Min Hana knows that threatening Joomi will not work. Min Hana decides to take everything away from Joomi starting with her two jobs, then her college scholarship, and lastly her mother’s medical treatments. When Minho found about his mother’s actions, he tried to help Joomi but his mom took all his money. Joomi needed to find another hospital that would have an opening for cancer patients.

“Minho, I found a hospital where my mom can get her surgery. Can you drive us there?”

“Of course, I’m sorry. I didn’t want things to be like this.”

The next day Minho drives Joomi and her mom to the hospital and when he arrives, he sets up a date for her mom’s surgery.

“Mom, your surgery is in two days. I’ll be back tomorrow. I know this is the big one.

“Don’t worry Joomi. I can handle this. Be careful and spend more time with Minho. He must be tired from that long drive.”

When Minho and Joomi leave the hospital, Minho gets a call from his mom and she begins to yell at him for staying with Joomi. However Minho just says one thing, “I love her”, and hangs up the phone.

“Joomi…let’s get married.”

“What? Your mom would kill you. Besides we’ve only been dating for two months.”

“But we love each other and we just want this to end. I don’t know what I would do without you.”

“I’m not going get married just because of your mom! I have too much on my mind! Forget about it.”

“Why? Do you not love me enough? Is our relationship a lie?”

“It’s not! My mom is going into surgery! I love you but I have to worry about my mom!”

“We can just get married right now and go back to your mom! What’s the big deal?”

“Why are you pushing me? Why are we fighting?”

“Look Joomi, I’m sorry. I just want you to know that I care about you and…

“I’ll do it…I’ll marry you…”

“Really….AHHH!!!! I’m getting married!”

However, there was rain and driving through that rain would is the last memory they share together. When Minho turns to look at Joomi, a truck struck from her side and everything went black….

2 months later, Minho finally opens his eyes and the only person he sees is his mom.

“Oh my gosh, Minho, you’re finally up. Are you okay? Speak to me Minho, speak to me…”

“Mom? Where am I? Why am I here? How long have I been here?”

“How can you do that to me? Do you think your father and I would have been able to live if you died!”

“Where’s Joomi? Where is she mom, where is she?”

“It’s all her fault that you’re hurt! You’re like this because of her! Why do you still care about her!”

“Where is she?! Where is Joomi?!”

Just then the nurse comes in to see why there is so much noise.

“Excuse me, this is a hospital. Please remain quiet… Oh lord, you are up. You should not be like that. If you act like that after two months in coma, you can get seriously hurt.”

“Nurse! Nurse! When I was in a car accident, there was a girl with me. What happened to her?”

“Um….Mr. Park….I’m sorry to say this but she did not make it.”

“What are you talking about? What do you mean she didn’t make it?”

“Nurse please leave, you are making my son become out of control!”

“Stop mom! Let her tell me! What happened to her?”

“The accident was quite bad. When you were driving, a truck when out of control and it hit your car. The impact was mostly on the side of the passenger’s seat. She experienced extreme head trauma and died instantly. We were able to use her heart to replace yours. The impact from the steering wheel broke your rib cage. You are alive because of her.”

Minho breaks down crying. The person that he loves the most is gone and it’s because he pushed her to marry him.

When Minho recovers from his injury, the first thing he did was visit Joomi’s grave. At her grave, he sees Joomi’s mother.

“Are you Joomi’s mother?”

“Hello Minho, how are you? Have you recovered?”

“Yes…Was your surgery okay?”

“Yes. As you can see, I’m alive. Too bad I wasn’t able to wake up to my daughter.”

“I’m sorry. It’s my entire fault.”

“Don’t blame yourself. I just hope that you know that Joomi really loved you. Now you guys will always be together.”

When Minho walks back to his car, he sees a feather floating in the air. The feather reminds him of when he first met Joomi, the way her back looked when she was running. At that moment, his new heart allowed him to break down and cry. It was the first time that Minho and Joomi cried together.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Siman that was a very interesting satire you wrote. It was well written and captivated my interest until the very end. It made me want to keep on reading. :) Although it ended out pretty sad, I enjoyed reading your satire.

    ReplyDelete