Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Boy in the Black Cape by Tiare S.

Satire Preface: The Phantom of the Opera

I decided to satire the popular musical Phantom of the Opera. The musical is about an enigmatic man who lives beneath the Paris Opera House. He is known as the “Phantom of the Opera” since he has not been seen but is deemed responsible for the unexplained happenings around the theatre. The phantom is a tragic, deformed genius who is in love with a chorus girl named Christine. He is Christine’s mysterious voice teacher. Christine falls under the Phantom’s spell and she often refers to him as her “Angel of Music”. Christine’s childhood sweetheart Raoul becomes a patron of the theatre so they are reunited. Raoul is rich, young, and handsome, the ideal love interest. Christine and Raoul fall in love and Christine is forced to choose between the knight in shining armor, Raoul, and the mystical, dark, creature of the night, the Phantom. In the end, the Phantom threatens to kill Raoul if Christine does not stay with him. Therefore, instead of allowing her lover to die, Christine chooses to stay with the Phantom. However, through this action the Phantom realizes that Christine does not truly love him, and that she would be happier with Raoul. Out of his love for Christine, the Phantom lets her and Raoul go.

The Boy in The Black Cape

“STOP. Sing it again Christina, except this time with better diction. Start from the top of the song. Is this really so difficult? Can no one do anything right? Do it again!” Mrs. Giry, the director of Paris High School’s annual musical, sat down and waved her hand angrily, motioning for Christina to take center stage. Mrs. Giry was known as the “Theatre Tyrant” because she was impatient and not afraid to yell at the students in order to get work done. Christina walked slowly to the center of the stage holding her script in her hand. She could feel the eyes of her fellow cast members gazing upon her. The piano introduction began to play and the music consumed her. Suddenly, the piano stopped abruptly. Christina’s eyes shot open. The door of the theatre sprung wide and there was a boy standing in the doorway.
“What is it now? Can’t you see that we are trying to rehearse?” Mrs. Giry said in a flustered voice. The boy sauntered towards Mrs. Giry with his backpack swung carelessly over his shoulder. He was tall, muscular, and had dark wavy hair that covered his eyes. He was wearing a black shirt, black jeans with holes in the knees, black shoes, and a black cape to compliment his overall sinister appearance. When he reached Mrs. Giry he handed her a note. “Erik Phanon. So you’re the student serving detention with me? Perfect. We need another strong man on crew. You can start by helping Andrew build sets. He’s in the back.” Mrs. Giry told him. The strange boy named Erik turned away and began to walk up the steps of the stage without saying a word. “Oh and Erik?” Mrs. Giry called to him, “Remember this is your punishment. I better not hear anything about you causing trouble because I have a show to run! Do as you are told. Do you understand?” Again, Erik remained silent and disappeared into the back of the theatre.
“Ha, that kid looks like a delinquent. And look at his face it’s all covered with boils. I heard he just transferred here and he’s already got detention. Probably just got back from juvy.”
“Oh come on Ryan you don’t even know him, leave him alone.”
“I’m just joking around Christina. You sounded beautiful today by the way babe. Isn’t it perfect how you’re the leading lady and I’m the leading man? We’re definitely going to win Prom King and Queen this year. We’re the power couple at this school.” Christina didn’t say anything to Ryan she just nodded her head. “Wanna come over after rehearsal and run lines? We could go to a movie together after?” Ryan suggested.
“Well I’m kind of tired.”
“Oh come on babe you’re such a buzz kill sometimes. I don’t care if you’re tired, you’re coming over because I haven’t gotten to spend time with you in forever!”
“Alright whatever.” Christina said. She knew better than to argue with her controlling boyfriend.
“Okay everyone back to work. Christina, you have got to work on your diction. And I need to see more chemistry between you and Ryan. Your characters are in love. Make me believe that you actually are!” barked Mrs. Giry.
“Oh don’t worry Mrs. G, we’ll spice up the romance.” said Ryan chuckling. Ryan Dishanye was the ideal male lead. He was charming, good-looking, charismatic, thin, and he loved the attention. He was definitely a theatre “diva”. He complained about nearly everything. However, Ryan had played the male lead for the past three years and was continuing that streak this year. Not only was Ryan the lead in school shows, but he was also the quarterback of the football team and drove a Ferrari around town because his father worked for a prestigious law firm. Ryan and Christina were childhood sweethearts. They had been friends since they were in elementary school and they had been Paris High School’s power couple since freshman year.
“Okay take it back from Christina’s solo and then go straight into the duet.” Mrs. Giry said as she scribbled down notes. She impatiently signaled for the pianist to begin playing and Christina took center stage. This time Christina was able to sing her solo without interruption. As she sang, she felt that familiar feeling as if her voice had been given wings.
Erik was on side stage helping Andrew with sets when he heard Christina’s voice fill the entire theatre. He could not help but put down his hammer and nails and walk to the edge of the wing to get a better look at her. He listened as Christina sang and studied her face. Erik had never seen a more beautiful girl. He noticed her light brown eyes that seemed to light up as she sang. He gawked at the way she moved so elegantly on stage and how her face portrayed so much emotion. Erik was put into a silent trance by Christina’s angelic voice. But, Erik quickly snapped out of it when he heard the piercing voice of Ryan join with Christina’s angelic voice. Ryan seemed to scream his lyrics rather than sing them. Erik cringed at the shrill sound of Ryan’s voice.
“Stop, stop, stop!” Ryan shouted at the pianist. “I cannot work with this rhythm! Are you even looking at the music? And seriously Christina can you stop breathing so close to me? Oh and don’t put your hand on my shoulder like that it throws me off!” Christina simply rolled her eyes, looked down at her script, and waited for Ryan to finish throwing his temper tantrum.
“That is enough Mr. Dishanye. Christina you need to work on your technique. Your voice is beautiful just work on your diction and focus. Go home tonight and practice your lines as well as your vocal parts. And Ryan, just go practice. Your stage presence is incredible, just work on your singing and stop throwing tantrums on my stage! Alright everyone, rehearsal’s over for today. Rehearsal is at six tomorrow. Don’t be late or I’m making you all clean the theatre!” The cast picked up their props, cleaned their areas, and quickly filed out of the theatre. Christina and Ryan got into Ryan’s car and began driving. Ryan and Christina had just pulled up to Ryan’s mansion when Christina realized she was missing something.
“Wait… Ryan, where’s my script?” Christina asked as she frantically looked through her bag for her script.
“Uh why are you asking me babe I don’t know where it is.”
“I think I left it at the theatre.”
“Ugh really Christina? You can take the car and drive back to the theatre and get it yourself! I’m not driving all the way back there. Why are you so irresponsible?” Christina didn’t respond to her rude boyfriend, she simply took the keys from him, sat down in the drivers seat, and drove off feeling more agitated than before.
When Christina pulled into the theatre parking lot she noticed that there was only one car left in the parking lot. It was dark outside, and there was a small light shining from inside the theatre. She opened the theatre door slowly, careful to not make any noise, and made her way down to the stage. However, before she got there, Christina became aware of soft music filling the room. She could hear a sweet, melodic, male, voice and the gentle strumming of a guitar. Her eyes looked upon the boy named Erik who was assigned to help with the show as his detention. He was softly playing a guitar and singing an unfamiliar song. Just then Erik’s eyes met Christina’s and he stopped playing abruptly.
“Oh I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to interrupt I just came back because I forgot my script. What song were you just playing? I’ve never heard it before but it’s beautiful. You’ve got a lovely voice.”
“Thanks… And I wrote that song myself. Your script is right over there. I put it with my things, your name is on it so I was just going to give it to you tomorrow.”
“Oh thank you. I’m Christina by the way. What’s your name?” Christina walked over to where Erik sat on the stage.
“ I’m Erik.”
“Hi nice meeting you Erik. Did you just move here?”
“Uh yeah… Foster care. But never mind that, you’ve got an incredible voice.” Erik went on to tell Christina about his lifelong involvement in music and his passion for writing and playing music. “Your voice is amazing. And if you love music, why didn’t you audition for the show?” Christina asked, perplexed.
“Ah school musicals aren’t really my thing. But I’d love to help you.”
“Okay sure thanks!” Christina and Erik worked late into the night on Christina’s solos. At first Christina was slightly afraid of Erik because he had a large scar across his face from his eye to his jaw, furthermore, his face was covered in gruesome boils. Various questions arose in her head like why was he in juvy? But after a while she didn't even notice his menacing scar, and the fretful questions that clouded her mind began to vanish. Christina was surprised at how knowledgeable Erik was about music and how quickly she felt comfortable with him. She began to feel a genuine connection with the mysterious boy named Erik.
Christina and Erik were enjoying their time together when all of a sudden Christina’s phone began to ring. She checked the caller ID and it was Ryan. At first she hesitated, but then she answered the call only to hear Ryan’s voice yelling at her.
“Christina! Where the heck are you? You went back for your script almost two hours ago!” Ryan shouted over the phone.
“Hey I’m sorry I just got held up… I’ve been rehearsing my songs.” Christina answered.
“Why are you rehearsing by yourself?! We were going to rehearse together.”
“I’m sorry I just needed some time to myself to run over my parts. I’ll be at your house in 15 minutes.”
Over the next few weeks Christina and Erik grew closer. They continued their private practices after rehearsals. It was becoming more and more apparent to Christina that Erik was more appealing than her boyfriend Ryan, regardless of Erik’s physical flaws. Christina began distancing herself from Ryan and found that she would rather be with Erik. She enjoyed the time she got to spend with Erik as well as the helpful advice he gave her. Even Mrs. Giry noticed the great improvement in Christina’s voice.
“Wow Christina your voice is progressing. I can tell that you’ve been practicing. Great job!” Mrs. Giry said applauding Christina. Then she turned to Ryan and said, “Ryan you need to work harder on your voice. Christina’s been practicing but you are not improving at all. You need to step it up.”
Christina was very grateful for Erik and she found that their late night rehearsals together were the only thing she looked forward to in a day. She no longer took pleasure in being with Ryan, but she was afraid to break up with him for fear that it might cause conflict in the show. Christina was confused because she had been in love with Ryan since they were children but all of a sudden she began to develop feelings for Erik and forget the way she once felt for Ryan. Christina had an inkling that Erik was beginning to like her as well.
“Hey I’ve been meaning to ask you about your past. I didn’t want to ask you before but now I feel we’re close enough, so you can tell me anything.” Christina asked in a soft voice. “Christina, I know we’ve only known each other for about a month but I feel like I can trust you. I didn’t want to tell you my history because I was embarrassed. I was afraid of what you would think of me, but now I’m ready to tell you. I was in juvenile detention because I ran away from my foster family. My parents died when I was six and I’ve been bouncing from foster family to foster family. I ran away from my most recent foster family because they abused me. The father would come home drunk and beat me and the mom would never feed me. I couldn’t take anymore of that. So I packed up and ran away. Unfortunately I was caught and sent to juvy.”
“Oh Erik… I’m so sorry to hear that.”
“It’s alright. I’m with a different foster family now and they aren’t too bad. I’ve gotten into a lot of fights and I’m the way I am because I never got a proper upbringing.”
“You are honestly the most decent, genuine guy I have ever met.” Christina said as she peered into Erik’s eyes. They were alone again in the theatre after rehearsal. “I’ve also wanted to ask you why do you always wear that black cape?”
“Well, all my life I’ve been the unusual guy who gets kicked around and beaten. I wear this black cape to remind myself that someday I won’t be defeated and I’ll be the hero.”
“Erik… You’re my hero.”
“Christina I love you.”
“What…?”
“I know I’m being ridiculous but from the moment I heard you sing I couldn’t get you out of my head. You’re so talented and sweet and I’ve never met a girl like you before. And I know you’re dating Ryan but I just had to tell you how I feel.” Christina didn’t even get a change to respond. All of a sudden the theatre doors burst open and Ryan was standing in the doorway.
“So this is what you’ve been doing late at night. Instead of spending time with your boyfriend, you’ve been sneaking around with this loser!”
“Ryan…please. We were just rehearsing.” Christina said coming down from the stage.
“Oh shut up you ungrateful brat! For the past two years I’ve been the best boyfriend to you. I gave you everything and this is how you repay me? By blowing me off for some ugly, delinquent?” Ryan raced towards the stage furiously.
“Hey! Don’t talk to her like that!” Erik chimed in as he approached Ryan.
“You stay out of this! This is between me and my girlfriend!” Ryan snapped back.
“That’s no way to talk to your girlfriend,” said Erik calmly putting his hand on Christina’s shoulder. “That’s it mister you’re going to get it!” Ryan shouted as he lunged for Erik. It was like a mouse picking a fight with a lion. Ryan was all skin and bones and Erik was tall and muscular. Ryan swung at him but Erik blocked the punch with little energy. He stepped back and said, “Cool it Ryan. I don’t want to fight you man. I’m already on probation, I can’t do anything to get into more trouble.” But Ryan disregarded this statement and swung at Erik nonetheless. The two of them went at it for a bit but then finally Christina was able to break up the fight.
“Ryan I’ve put up with your rudeness and endless complaining for far too long. I’m fed up! I can’t take anymore of it! I don’t love you. I love Erik!” She took Erik’s face in her hands and kissed him passionately. Ryan looked thoroughly defeated. He stepped away from them and knelt on his knees. He began to cry.
“You… You really don’t love me anymore?” He looked to Christina with glistening eyes.
“That’s right… I don’t love you Ryan. You never treated me the way I deserved to be treated. Erik and I have something special. Our love isn’t based on physical appearance or shallow conditions. He is my Angel of Music and I love him.” Erik was still holding Christina in his arms and softly whispered to her “You alone can make my song soar. The music of the night will never end.”
Ryan had finally gotten what he deserved and Christina and Erik could at last be together. Christina had chosen the mysterious boy in the black cape, rather than the knight in shining armor.

1 comment:

  1. I really like how you put Phantom in a modern setting, and it was really interesting that you turned it into a story within a story. Good job highlighting and emphasizing the key points of the story! I especially like the way you changed the ending... Good job!

    ReplyDelete