Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Busy High School Musical Group by Sara T.

The Busy High School Musical Group



Many people find singing and dancing in a group enjoyable, especially the students attending Monte Vista High School in California. Together, they formed a group called the High School Musical group. The talented High School Musical group consisted of Christine Min, Kevin Woo, Siman So, Lynse Chang, and Eli Kim. They performed in many school plays together and for other special events, such as talent shows. However, not all of the group members cooperated well with the others, which caused many conflicts and problems to arise. Eventually, they are able to find a solution to those problems, with some difficulty in between.



“I really want to become famous. Then, I’ll be able to travel to every corner of the globe,” I said with a smile.

“That’s not something easy to achieve, Christine, you must work hard for it,” said Lynse.

“It is not easy to achieve,” Kevin said, “we have been working for it for such a long time.”

“I think we just haven’t been working hard enough, then.,” replied Eli.

“We have been working hard! Think about all the time and effort we put into everything,” I exclaimed. It is true; I have worked hard to achieve everything I have so far. My awards from talent shows, being able to perform in plays, I have rehearsed for hours for everything. As the group’s leader and main singer, I think we deserved to perform somewhere else other than just within our school. The thought lingered in the mind as I walked to my performing arts class.

“Good morning students,” announced a mysterious lady as the bell rang, “I just wanted to speak to a few students before you begin class. May I please speak to the High School Musical group?”

It was normal for us to be called out of class to talk to someone. Usually, they wanted us to perform somewhere or do something special for a certain occasion. However, this lady did not look familiar at all. Instead, she looked like she was not even form here.

As we all stepped outside, the lady quickly introduced herself.

“My name is Siman So and I’m a coordinator for the Hula Festival in Hawaii. I was wondering if the High School Musical group would like to travel to Hawaii and perform there. I have heard many wonderful compliments from many people at your school. I just so happened to be in California when I found out that I needed entertainment at the Hula Festival.”

“Really? We can perform in Hawaii?” I was amazed and shocked. We now have the chance to perform somewhere else. Also, Hawaii is a great place to just relax and have fun.

“What about the costs for everything, like plane rides, transportation, and our hotel?” said Lynse. She seemed worried that she would not be able to go if she did not have enough money for it.

“We can cover it all. After all, you are our guests!” answered Siman with enthusiasm.

“Then count me in!” declared Eli happily. He seemed as if he really wanted to do it.

“Me too!” announced Kevin with eagerness. “It seems like a really fun opportunity.”

“I’ll definitely go.,” said Lynse cheerfully.

I really wanted to go, but I would have to check with my parents. They really wanted me to just focus on school instead of all this performing arts business. I have told them multiple times that I yearned to perform on a famous stage for many people. They just want me to be a smart student, which just a boring student who focuses on school.

“I really want to go,” I started “But I need consent from my parents. I would really love to perform in Hawaii, since it has been my dream to travel somewhere else and perform, but…” I faltered. The thought of my parents forcing me to turn down this decision was just too much.

“I’ll see,” I stated boldly.



As I got home, the only thought on my mind was asking for permission to perform in Hawaii. I have never done something so nerve racking in my life. It seemed almost impossible for me to stay calm. I kept thinking negatively and how I could possibly not go to this performance. My mother was in the kitchen cooking dinner, and my father was reading the newspaper. I slowly walked in.

“Mom, dad, I have a question relating to… performing arts,” I started.

They immediately stopped everything they were doing and looked very serious. The look in their eyes already told me no, but I was still going to try.

“Our group was invited to perform in Hawaii for a Hula Festival,” I continued, “May I please go?”

My parents exchanged glances. Their expressions changed from serious to confused and shocked.

“Perform in Hawaii?” said my mom. She looked very surprised. “I didn’t think your group would be so big.” She turned around and continued cooking.

“Well, it seems that your group has been productive lately. Perhaps, you might be able to spare a few days from school to perform…” said my dad.

I was so excited. My parents were finally thinking about allowing me to perform with my group. This was the best feeling in the world.

“Does this mean that I can go?” I said so thrillingly.

“Sure,” my dad said as he began to read his newspaper again, “I don’t see why not.”

I almost jumped for joy. My parents were finally accepting the fact that I love performing arts and being with the High School Musical group. Now, I just need to start packing since the trip will be next week. I began to skip out of the room.

“Hold on,” my dad said sternly as I reached the kitchen door, “I almost forgot. What about costs and everything else?”

“Oh, Siman So said that they were going to cover it all for us since we’re special guests,” I explained.

“Okay then, that’s fine,” replied my dad as he went back to his newspaper.

I hopped up the stairs to my room to start packing. I could not stop thinking about how the performance was going to turn out as. I know we had to make it perfect. Then it hit me, we only had a week to choose a song and rehearse it. How are we going to do that? We need more time, but… We don’t have much.



The next day at school, I told Siman my answer about the trip. She was so glad that I could go.

“The Hula Festival is going to be amazing!” she proclaimed as she left.

I slowly walked to where my friends were waiting for me. My only friends were the High School Musical group members. They will stick with my through everything and anything; and I would do the same.

“What’s wrong?” asked Kevin as I met up with them. “You look pretty down.”

“Well, I was just thinking about what we plan on performing in Hawaii. We only have a week to figure out what we want to do and rehearse.”

“A week?” Lynse shouted. “That’s not enough time. Definitely not enough…”

“I suppose we should start planning now,” Eli said, “What shall we do?”

“We can sing a song that we know really well,” announced Kevin.

“Or we can try a new song,” I proposed, “But that might be difficult for us to perform perfectly by relying on just week of practice…” This is a big problem.

“I got it! Let’s perform that song we sang at the talent show last year,” exclaimed Lynse, “What was it called again?”

“Oh! You mean Neverland?” answered Eli.

“Yeah, that one,” replied Lynse, “I really liked that song.”

“That’s a great idea,” said Kevin.

“Well then, let’s start rehearsing now,” I said enthusiastically.



The next few days were filled with rehearsal. We worked hard and had some fun times while taking breaks. Over time, I noticed that the relationship between Kevin and I was getting stronger. I was attracted to him. Eventually, our relationship grew so strong that we were a couple now.

During one practice, the tennis coach walked in and demanded to speak to Kevin and Eli. According to the coach, Kevin and Eli were his star players. I had no idea that they played tennis.

“I heard that you are ditching tennis for performing arts,” boomed the coach, “Unbelievable! I won’t accept this!”

“Calm down, coach,” said Eli with a soothing voice, “We want to perform in Hawaii, and we’ll play next year.

“Well,” the coach said, “That’s fine. I don’t mind you ditching the big game against our rival school for singing. Good luck!” Then, he happily walked away.

“I had no idea you both played tennis,” I said bewildered.

“We just joined last year,” Kevin said.

“Apparently, we’re really good at it and coach wants us to dedicate all the time we have to it…” said Eli a bit irritated.

“Well, I guess we should rehearse our song one more time. We leave tomorrow and I think we should all sleep well tonight.” I said.

We practiced once more, and then we all said goodbye and left. Kevin walked home with me since he lived fairly close. We had a nice conversation about tennis and our excitement to go to Hawaii tomorrow.

“Tennis is fun, but it sure is tiring. We have to run around and it just makes you feel exhausted. Anyways, aren’t you excited to go to Hawaii tomorrow? I can’t wait!” exclaimed Kevin.

“I am super excited! I hope our performance is good though… After all, we didn’t really rehearse that well and we still don’t have everything exactly organized perfectly yet.” I said. I was really worried that there might be a problem when we get there…

“Don’t worry about it. We’ll get around it. Oh, here’s your house. I’ll see you tomorrow, bye.” Kevin hugged me and left.

As I walked home, I was still thinking about tomorrow. I hoped that everything would be fine.



We all met at the airport the next day. Everyone was excited, except for me. I was a little anxious and worried about the performance. What if we have a problem right before the performance and it ruins it? What if there’s an issue during the performance? What if we get lost? All of these question popped into my head just as we departed.

On the plane, we all sat near each other. I sat next to Kevin, and Lynse and Eli sat behind us. It was a somewhat long plane ride, but we just talked the entire time.

“Is something wrong?” Kevin asked me, “You’ve been really quiet.”

“Nothing’s wrong, I’m just thinking about the performance.” I said with a smile.

When the plane landed we were really excited. We looked for our driver to drive us to our hotel. On the way to the hotel, we saw many places in Hawaii. Our hotel was beautiful. It was really big, and it was extremely spotless. There was absolutely nothing wrong with anything.

We had a whole day to just relax before we have to perform at the Hula Festival. We decided to just walk around Waikiki since it was the closest to our hotel.

“Wait,” I started “What are about tomorrow? We’re not really prepared.”

“What are you talking about?” Lynse replied, “Of course we’re prepared. We rehearsed many times.”

“I meant the setup and our finale. What if they want an encore?” I questioned.

“Well, we’ll just think about it when we get there. We’ll have a few hours to rehearse with everything once it starts, right?” Eli asked.

“I suppose,” said Kevin, “But Christine has a point. How are we going to set up the stage and where everyone will stand on the stage?”

“Can’t we just think about it later?” Lynse asked. She sounded irritated. “I really want to walk around Hawaii already.”

“Fine, fine. We’ll just work it out later on,” said Eli.

I nodded my head, and we left to walk around.

The next day, we drove to the Hula Festival. The stage was huge. It was the biggest stage I have ever seen.

We decided to organize our performance by setting everything up and making sure everything was in place. We were really excited for the performance tonight. After everything was done, we practiced our song one more time. I was no longer worried about our performance; instead, excitement and joy replaced that feeling.



After a long wait, it was time for us to perform. We were so excited, yet nervous at the same time. However, my excitement disappeared and was replaced by nervousness. I saw the audience we had to perform for and I immediately blanked out. When it was my turn to sing, nothing came out of my mouth. It was horrible; I was embarrassed. I didn’t know what to do. The audience was very large. It was the largest audience I have ever performed in front of before. I was so nervous I couldn’t even move or speak. I was lost.



However, Kevin was able to bring me back to my senses as he whispered in my ear.

“Everything’s going to be alright. We just have to perform how we practiced, remember?” he said soothingly.

It took me a while, but I did remember. I took a look at the audience and saw them waiting for us to begin. I always sang the beginning to start the song off, but I messed up. I blotched our performance already. I felt like I let my group down, I couldn’t go on with this performance… Then I remembered, the show must go on. Kevin was right, it was just how we practiced and rehearsed. After all, we didn’t come all the way to Hawaii just to waste our time. I pretended that the audience was just like our school, only bigger. It was difficult at first, but I got over it.

That split second where I blanked out seemed forgotten by the end of our performance. We managed to make it through even though I got extremely nervous. Everyone was very pleased with our performance. We even got a standing ovation! I was really happy, I immediately forgot what happened at the beginning and embraced what was happening at the moment. It was the best feeling in my life. Later on, Siman approached us once more.

“You were spectacular!” she exclaimed. “There are many other events that I coordinate. How would you like to perform at almost all of them?”

“Of course!” we all said together. What a happy ending, I thought to myself.

4 comments:

  1. So like...what happens to Kevin and Christine?(: Anyways, I really liked it Sara. It was very good. Great job localizing the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good use of satire when you wrote “That’s fine. I don’t mind you ditching the big game against our rival school for singing." I also like how you based the personalities of Christine and I in your satire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's very realistic for someone to blank out just before their performance. Great job!!

    ...Now you have Neverland stuck in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the plot line. I felt that your satire was very unique and it seemed realistic

    ReplyDelete